Friday, October 5, 2007

Post Partum Depression: Winning the Battle

Hear me young mother.
Did you know that there is a battle? Or did you just think that something terrible was happening in your life: something unavoidable; something that may lift eventually... someday?

You were deceived then. It is a battle. A battle for your life, your mind, your sanity.


There's no sense in getting scared, and turning away now. You must win.


Most mothers' will think of their baby at this point, and agree with me. You know that for the sake of your child, you must put on a good face, and do your best for this little one. But know also that not all mothers have done that. You know them. They've left their husband and their five year old daughter and moved thousands of miles away. The've been absent from church, only for you to discover that they've left their husband and three boys for another man, and won't be coming back. It' a slippery slope, and post partum depression wants to help you slip.


OK, now that you're sober, and cut to the quick, I must remind you:


The Lord is Faithful He will not allow you to be tempted (tested) beyond what you can bear.


I realize, that you do not feel that you can bear it now. Not one more sleepless night, not one more demand from your husband, not one more cry... No way. This is more than you can bear.


I know that, I've been there too. I've cried too, until I felt my heart would break. Some nights I cried because it had. I've searched my mind endlessly for answers, desparately searching for a way out of the situation, and coming up with nothing. I've been there too- without hope, and without God in the world.


But it doesn't have to be this way. Did you know that you can invite God into your darkness? That you can come to Him with all your misery and anguish, and invite Him into the midst of your mess.


He isn't like us. Other people have turned away from you because of the depression. They don't want to be around you anymore- you're not fun anymore. You're always busy with the baby now. They don't understand where you are, and suddenly you can't understand them anymore either. But God doesn't ask for our circumstances to be good before He wants to spend time with us. Maybe your husband is angry that you're not so exciting in the bedroom lately, and you are pained by how selfishly he is thinking- how can he be after just that, with all that you're going through- doesn't he care?


But God isn't asking you to do anything, be anything, or have anything for Him to come to you. He just wants to be with you in your grief, to hold you in the middle of your mess.


If you will give your mess to God, it will not stay that way.


We all need to do it, and some of us more than once. We need to give control over to Him, and say: Lord, if you can do anything with me, I give all of myself to You. I offer You full control of my life. You will not regret it.

No comments: