Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Faith that Works.



I tend to think best if I am talking, or writing. Even if I listen to someone else talk (school or church, etc.), my brain is at its best if I am writing.

So I have been enjoying this blog, because as I am writing here, I am teaching myself.

I wanted to look at some more verses on healing today.

John 6:27, 28

"But you shouldn't be concerned with perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that I, the Son of Man, can give you. For God the Father has sent me for that very purpose."

Good one, eh? (I'm Canadian. : ) I need this verse, every time I am tempted to forget that God is my Source, and to start worrying about wether or not I bought organice lettuce. Buy organic, by all means, but our food is not where our true life comes from.

Titus 1:15

"Everything is pure to those whose hearts are pure..."

I was thinking about this in relation to food allergies. I had issues with food all my life, and when I was healed of my depression, I was also healed of my allergies. Lately however, I have to watch that the old fear of food doesn't creep back in. If all things are pure to me, then I can eat my food in peace.

James 2...

14"Dear brothers and sisters, what's the use of saying you have faith if you don't prove it by your actions? That kind of faith can't save anyone.

17"So you see, it isn't enough just to have faith. Faith that doesn't show itself by good deeds is no good at all- it is dead and useless.

24"So you see, we are made right with God by what we do, not faith alone.

26"Just as the body is dead without a spirit, so also faith is dead without good deeds."

Now, this is not saying that you are OK with God as long as you behave OK, it is saying that your deeds (the things you do everyday) are what give life to your faith! I may say "Oh yes, I believe I can eat anything without getting sick!" But then if I don't eat certain foods, I must ask myself: Do I really believe it, if I can't live it? Yes, there is an element of common sense in which foods we will eat or not eat, but I need to have the kind of faith that saves-- that actually does something (verse 14)! I can't just read it, believe that the bible says it, and then leave it at that... I need to believe it to the extent that I will step out on it. We will do whatever we truly believe in our hearts.

I guess this is like the other day when Jed and I took the kids swimming. When I was a child, I had a fear of heights. I also had a fear of water. So needless to say, I didn't like jumping off the diving board, because it seemed like both of them combined: heights and water! Now as an adult, I have to ask myself: If I am not afraid, then why don't I jump? You know it may be uncomfortable to jump, since I'm not used to it, and since I had developed a habit of fear. But if I believe, then I must jump.


Is there an issue you are struggling with: a fear, an illness? An issue that seems too great for your faith to surmount? Well, don't just go ahead with your actions unless your faith is there. I've tried that: lining up my actions, without first developing my faith. I failed that way, because He is not justifying us by our works, but by our faith. He only asks that we believe in the One that He sent. So if your faith is not up to snuff, you have to feed it. Develope it, nurture it, strengthen it. Lift some biblical barbells. The bible says that faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. So if you don't sincerely believe it enough for it to come to pass in your life, then don't quit! Just stay in your bible, and your faith will grow. Soon it will be a faith that saves.

A faith that does what it is supposed to do. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that your words of encouragment really helped me! I am believing for a real miracle and I thank you for that!