Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Spinach: Number One on the ORAC Scale (Drink Your Greens)

Hi everybody, I just thought I'd give you a glimpse into my kitchen today, and a glance at my breakfast table. : )

The first picture here is of one of my green smoothies. I made it (as memory serves me) with fresh baby spinach, frozen mangoes, a frozen banana, and some water. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of chickpea protein powder, and a teaspoon of raw flax oil.
The odd time I will add a quarter of an avocado, instead of the protein powder and flax oil, but the avocado changes the taste a bit, so then I might add less spinach and more fruit.
You can use frozen peaches, or blueberries instead of mango- I really love the blueberries, but it will make it more of a brown smoothie then. ; )





The next photo is of some nice avocados I found at Costco. We live in Canada, and I'm sure the selection of produce is different here than what it might be in the States, but Costco usually has the best avocados where I live. I eat a great deal of raw food, and avocados provide raw fat, and vegetable protein- easy to digest. As I mentioned, I will put a quarter of an avocado in a smoothie, then freeze the rest in chunks and put in a later smoothie. I freeze items like this on a baking sheet, then transfer to a ziploc bag later. Another favorite way of mine to eat avocados is to mash them up with fresh lemon juice, then pile on a piece of rye bread and sprinkle with sea salt. Yum! I'm hungry already!
I included the grapefruit photo because as I mentioned, I am currently eating at least 50% of my food raw. I also eat seasonally, because you will get the best quality food, at the best price if you buy seasonally. It really works great for me, because if I haven't eaten grapefruits for a year, then they will really taste delicious. I will eat 2 or 3 a day for 2 or 3 weeks, and then I am done with them, and happy not to see any more grapefruits for awhile! I also included this photo, because citrus is very high in antioxidants, and we've been eating a great deal of citrus around here lately.
And this is a photo of carrot juice. It's so pretty, don't you think? I find if I make it with nice fresh, sweet carrots, I don't need to add anything to it (like apple juice-to offset the flavour). When I make it, I will do about a litre, and put the rest in the fridge- then drink it over the course of the day. More antioxidants! Yum, Yum.

And lastly, is a pot of sugar free "rice pudding". I took some cooked basmati rice (which is supposed to have a lower glycemic index) but I often use brown, then simmered it in almond milk (with raisins) until it was soft, and rather thick. Then I drizzled it with raw honey, and sprinkled with cinnamon. Once in awhile I need the carbs and protein that raw veggies and fruit don't have, and this is a tasty dessert.
So what do you think? Feel free to leave a comment, or let us know what you've been eating for breakfast lately. Again, if you will eat just one raw meal per day, you will begin to notice a difference in how you feel. If you are just starting out with raw foods, then make sure you get enough to eat for breakfast, because raw foods go through your digestive system faster. They also don't use as much stomach acid to digest (which is good!) so you may feel hungry faster. If this is the case, then make a 2 litre smoothie; drink one 1 litre for breakfast; put the other litre in a thermos and drink around 10:30 am. You will feel much "lighter", and alert if you will keep it up.

No comments: