Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Save Time, Money, and Keep it Simple!


Something that I've found saves me money and time (as well as contributing to healthy eating in our home) is shopping wholesale. Not just Costco, but a wholesale outlet for restaurants. I know that shopping in the States is probably different than it is in Southern Alberta, but shopping wholesale can be a benefit to our family in that: I spend less overall, I buy only a few things which we enjoy, and once I've picked up my few things, I do less shopping trips. It also saves me time in the end, for example:

This week I picked up a 50lb bag of carrots for half of what I would have paid in the grocery store. I brought them home and washed, trimmed, and rebagged them. I sent some through the food processor for stirfries, etc., then made a large bag of carrot sticks. The rest I will make into carrot juice, with my Breville juicer. (They make a fairly sweet, tasty juice. I drink about a litre a day right now.) Now I always have a healthy snack of carrot sticks in the fridge for the kids, or an extra side dish at lunch with a sandwich. With only a few minutes prep, I have now have precut carrots to throw in any soup, stew, or casserole.

I also bought 50lbs of Granny Smith apples. These are very high in antioxidants, and they keep really well! I keep the box in my garage where it is cool (I don't have a cold room right now), and they last for weeks. Again, they were less than half of the cost that I would have paid at the store, and when kids come over and need a snack, I place a huge bowl of apple wedges on the table, and they can have as many as they like! Almost everybody loves apples!

So that's my tip for keeping things simple, and check out Tammy's Recipes for more great tips!

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Hello, I was just reading your blog after I checked out your Tuesday tip today. Very, Very interesting. I'll be back to read more.
Shalom,
Loretta at: http://veganfootprints.blogspot.com/

Liberty said...

Hi Loretta, I am so glad to find a vegan blog- I enjoyed your post about what you eat on a typical day in Ghana!
Liberty