Tuesday, December 30, 2008

We Can Choose What We Will Say


A couple of things I ought to remind myself of continually:

Namely: WHAT IS COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?

You may not think that what we say has anything to do with depression, but it certainly does have to do with our state of mind, and besides that, Jesus said that it is what comes out of a man's mouth that makes him unclean. Because Jesus believed that words are important, we must believe that they are important too. He also said that whatever is in a man's heart in abundance will overflow out of his mouth, and too, that if we speak; believing that what we say will come to pass, we will have we have said.

This may sound like some superspiritual thing when we read it in the gospels, but really all it means is that-

when you say it, because you believe it, you can expect it to happen. That is the essence of faith, and we practice it ALL THE TIME!

Oh, yes you do. Haven't you ever said "this day just isn't going my way" and then it didn't? You accessed a law of faith. You spoke your certain expectation, and it came to pass in your life because of the law of faith.

This is dangerous. And redeeming. You see, we all have a choice! I can wake up feeling lousy, and cry out inside: "God, why aren't you helping me?!", or I can say nothing, think nothing, but turn on my bedside lamp and prop up my devotion book beside me. After around 15 minutes of this, I've put something worthwhile in my heart, to come out of my mouth. Now I will still read my bible, but sometimes I need to come to God and meditate His promises before I'm even ready to get out of bed. Then I am ready to say "God, even though I don't feel it right now, I believe You. I know that You have helped me because Your word says that You are with me, and know how to deliver me out of trials." Then, I have taken my focus off of my self, and my feelings, and have placed it on God and His promises.

Proverbs 12:13

An evil man is ensnared by the transgression of his lips, but the righteous escapes from trouble.

Proverbs 12:14

From the fruit of his mouth a man is satisfied with good, and the work of a man's hand comes back to him.

Proverbs 12:18

There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Proverbs 12:19

Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Proverbs 12:20

Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil, but those who plan peace have joy.

Proverbs 12:25

Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.

Proverbs 12:28

In the path of righteousness is life, and in its pathway there is no death.


These verses speak to me not only about what I am saying, but WHAT AM I THINKING?

Vs. 20 says that those who plan peace have joy. So am I perpetuating depressed and discouraging thoughts, or did I make a point of planning peace? Thinking on what I can do to increase peace in my home?

Vs. 25 says that anxiety weighs a man down. Yes, there are "anxious things" that take place all around us, but we still have the choice! It says that a good word makes a man glad! We still have the choice of how we will react, what will we think, what will we say!

I didn't say it is easy- it isn't. In fact, we are utterly dependant on the Holy Spirit to live this kind of life. A life that chooses joy.

No comments: