Thursday, January 29, 2009

Maintaining Our Priorities, and Lowering Our Expectations


January is always a good time for reevaluating. I did a lot of that this month, and thought a lot about what is really important to me: what do I really believe.

I discovered that to some degree, I have not been living the things that are truly important to me. Surely, I have been changed, and affected by what I really believe, but I come back again to this question: Do you really believe it if you won't do it?

I have come to the conclusion that if I am ever to carry out my true priorities: what I really desire and believe is important in life: I will have to lower my expectations.

How can I lower my expectations to achieve more?

Well last night Jed and I attended segment three of the Reinhard Bonkke video study "Full Flame". One thing Reinhard said that greatly impressed me was that: we are all zeros, and Jesus is truly One. This means that if we will stand with Him, our zero becomes a ten. If we add another zero, we become 100.

I know we are all faced with our own zero every day, so I've decided to stop thinking about mine, and think about my One. I must make His Word my great and only priority, or the other things I accomplish won't matter. Besides that, I know that I can accomplish nothing without Him!

When He called me I was at the end of my rope: spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally. My marriage was at the end, my motherhood was in shams. I was at the end of my willingness to live one more day.

Jesus came into my life like a bright light into a dark room, and surprised me with His love and forgiveness. Knowing that I was forgiven changed everything for me.

It still does.

I know that I am nothing without Him, but thank God, I am not without Him! His word changed my life then, how could I go on without it now?

I need to put aside my priorities for my One Priority, and let Him change me to be more like Him. Then the other priorities will fall into place.
("Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things. Only one thing is needful.")

A scripture from the Message:

Luke 4:36-37

That set everyone back on their heels, whispering and wondering, "What's going on here? Someone whose words make things happen? Someone who orders demonic spirits to get out and they go?" Jesus was the talk of the town.

That's what impressed me this morning. His words make things happen. Not me, not my effort, not my crying or begging. His word. This is what I need.

No comments: