Monday, February 2, 2009

Frugal Juicing


I am certain that this is something which few people have thought of doing, but I mention it in the interest of being frugal, and eating healthy!

I had a shelf of pie pumpkins in the garage here, which we'd grown organically in our own garden, and were very proud of. But I didn't know what to do with them, since we don't eat pie, and the sugar free pumpkin butter I made just wasn't a hit! (tee hee) I even tried baking them like squash, but no one liked that either. I could hide a few slices in soup, but we had a lot of pumpkins left, and they were going to go bad if I didn't use them up!

So the week before grocery day (when we were virtually out of produce) I ran a couple of slices through the juicer along with a couple of apples. I fed it to the children at lunch, expecting them to react badly, but they actually really liked it! The pumpkin had such a mild sweet flavor, that you really couldn't taste it over the apples, and even better- you get all those raw, organge vitamins and minerals!

It's a frugal way to serve raw, fresh juices, because the pumpkins were free. 50% pumpkin reduces the cost of the juice by half!

(For those of us interested in organic gardening: pumpkins and squash are very easy to grow, harvest, and store. You get a lot of food for the amount of work you invest.)

1 comment:

Katrina said...

So true about the pumpkins being cheap! :o) I'm gonna try this this year if I can manage a garden. Never thought of juicing them! Thanks for the tip.