Sunday, October 18, 2009

Healing Habits

I know that since my healing there are several habits I've kept up- probably most of them without thinking of it. But I thought it would be good to jot something down about how to maintain a life free of depression.
1. I read my bible every day. It is what led to my having a sound mind- I've found that I simply cannot live without it. It's like the bible's story of the "mad man of Gederra". I am clothed and in my right mind, and I want to keep it that way. God's word is what makes a sound mind.
2. Prayer. I know I can ask God for help now. When things seem overwhelming, and I feel like I am sinking, I ask Him to help me, and He always does. But I do believe that I need to stay in relationship with Jesus in order to see His work in my life. You can have this too, at any time! We stay in relationship with Him through daily bible reading, and prayer. He always hears us!
3. I talk (periodically) about how I feel to Jed. There have been times when I started to feel attacked by thoughts of death, or other things that aren't my true demeanor now. But now when I tell Jed about it, it seems to disperse those thoughts, and cause them to lose their power. (He will pray for me too, at those times.) Part of the power of those lies is when you keep it inside and mull over it again and again. I don't do that now- I expose them. Find a strong (bible believing) Christian you can confide in, or a good church (that believes in healing) where you can ask for prayer.
4. I speak scriptures. What has better power over a lie than the truth?
5. I make an effort to focus on those around me- not just what is good for myself. A life focused only on self often ends up to be discouraging. A life focused on loving another has less time for self defeating introspection!
6. I refuse to think despairing thoughts. If I really don't know what else to think, I'll prop up my bible in front of my eyes and read it aloud to myself, until I can think of something good to fix my mind on!
7. I fill my mind with right teaching. I listen to preaching cds (and messages online) that have a positive message: a FAITH message. No one battling depression would be helped by any preaching that says "God made you sick for a reason." or, "God is Sovereign, so this must just be part of His plan for you." Now, God is Sovereign alright, but He is also LOVE, and Love always protects. It is not God's plan for any of His children to be depressed! (Would you plan that for your own children?) I feed myself on messages of hope, not on reasons to stay in bondage.
8. I eat better than I did before. This is not the only key, but it helps. Bare minimum: No More Sugar!
9. I get more exercise than before. Not the only solution, but it does help. On the days I go for a walk, I notice more energy, etc. I feel refreshed mentally too. In winter I will walk on the treadmill.
10. I know that how I feel isn't neccessarily "truth", and that it will pass. I know that I have a choice of what I will yield to. If it's late at night, and my blood sugar feels low, and I know where I am in my cycle, and I find I feel hopeless... Now I know that I can sink into a pool of self pity, or I can just get up and go to bed (often with an mp3 player of scriptures going in my ears), and that I will be better able to battle those emotions in the morning. Now I am free, I am not dominated.
Remember, it is for freedom that Christ has set us free. He came to seek and to save that which was lost. He came for you- so that you could live a life free of depression. He is with you today- talk to Him. Call on His name, and He will answer. He is so faithful.

No comments: