Saturday, December 5, 2009

Don't Quit, and Don't Give Up


This is something I repeat to myself frequently. "I'm not quitting, and I'm not giving up!" Some days I feel I have to say it over and over, in order to remind myself. Other days I say it in relief. "I didn't give up, and I didn't quit!" (Phew!)

The basis for this unwillingness to quit is this:

Jesus came into my messed up life, and He accepted me- He changed me. He took my sins upon Himself, and He went to the cross in my place. He went to hell for me, and then He gave me His Life, His Resurrection, when I had earned nothing, and deserved death.

He rose from the grave by faith in the Father's word, and He gave me His Spirit to live in me forever, so I would always have a friend- always have hope! He conquered sickness, temptation, sin, and the grave for me, and He gave me His written word so that I would have all access to Him; all comfort-- so I would know that I have a covenant. I have His promise!

When He overcame for me, when He purchased all victory with His own blood, and then turned around and called me victorious... How could I give up?

How can I look into the scriptures and read the accounts of those in worse circumstances than mine, and disregard the intense faith that they kept in Him- and that He delivered them!

How can I read what He has promised me in Isaiah, and ever be discouraged... How can I believe He is against me when the entire bible outlines His unfailing goodness! He is God, and He is good!

How could I quit, when His Spirit lives inside of me- has become Part of who I am? How could I ever fail, when He Who lives in me is unfailing?

When He has won it all, and He won't give up on me? When He won't quit on me?

I can't I don't. You won't either. Some days seem tough, but we call those blessed who persevere (who didn't quit- who didn't give up). And there are good days too! And there is heaven ahead. He won't give up on me- I will not dishonor Him by giving up. All we need is His word, and He has given it to us in written form, to have it with us forever. Promise, after promise. And the more I read it, the more addicted I am- this book is filled with hope! This book is filled with life itself! This book is Alive, and This Book is a Person! This book is true, and it is The Truth. Oh, how I love His Word, and I can't live without it- and neither can you. You cannot live without the One who will not fail you or forsake you! He can't live without you either- He loved you enough to die for you, to win you to His side, to woo you, and to have you. He is the Great Bridegroom, the Irresistible, the Undeniable. He is the Awesome Almighty- He is Jesus. Oh the Blessing, oh the Joy, oh the Power. He is Worthy.

No. I can't give up. Neither can you- there is hope ahead for your life- the kingdom of God is within you, and you have the mind of Christ now. When you ask Him in to the dim and dismal places of your heart, He will enter, and He will cause you to be reborn- born from death into life; from depression into hope. When we know His word, we know that there is always Hope, and that we must not give up, and we do not quit. He is with you now- He will not fail you or forsake you. He is Love, and Love never quits or gives up.

No comments: